Monday, March 8, 2010

Where do we begin?


Phyllis Leister, Kenya 2010


At the beginning I guess! When I was a small girl I always wanted to be an artist! My Aunt Loretta painted! I believed her to be the most profound person I knew! She was blessed or cursed ( I still have not decided ) with a multitude of freckles, as was I.

Of course, she had what I defined as beautiful red hair that framed her freckles and I had nothing but plain brown but she always made me feel that we were soul mates and I could accomplish anything she did!

I loved the colors and the slapping of the oily paints on the canvas, my Aunt would share with me! It just never quite looked like hers though, go figure!

As I grew she continued to paint and I continued to try! What drove me to try was my fascination with the evolution of the canvas!

It began so white and empty and then as I applied the paint, there would be a swath of Bright blue sky,a puff of a fluffy green tree,some round yellow flowers and I would be transported to a place all bright and new, that had not existed just minuets before!

No matter how immature it was, at first glance, I was so pleased with what I had created! Later I would admit it took quite a bit of imagination to extract what I myself saw but no matter,I loved it, it was mine! I use to hang them everywhere and give them away as if they were gold!

The 1st time I read the Bible, beginning with Genesis, I understood God's contentment and feelings of goodwill towards all that He had created! I know that this is over simplifying what God did in creation but I was 9years old, at the time and a bit idealistic!

To get to the point ( you who read this will soon find out, it can take me awhile) In Genesis 1:31 God looks out onto what He has created and with what I believe is His mothers heart, declares the good of it all!

As we read on (and do if you never have )man & his helpmate were also created out of what I believe to be the mother heart of our Father God! If you look up the definition of Mother & Motherhood, you will find the Heart of God!

This is where we will end today and start the next time! I encourage you, as mothers, keep painting! We are working on God's Masterpieces! Phyllis Leister

2 comments:

  1. Mother,
    You must have some spare time on your hands. Kidding!! It kind of freaked me out at first to get this as an email. I thought someone had hijacked your information. This was very good. Thank you. I am excited to receive more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis, how beautifully said! I would encourage you to pick up your paint and brush again :) Who knows if you can paint on canvas what you do so beautifully in the lives of others!! love you, Jaclyn

    p.s. love your freckles :)

    ReplyDelete